Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
1. Cabinet approves the submission of the Future High Street Business Case.
2. Cabinet recommends that Council approves its financial contribution to the delivery of the Future High Street Scheme, as outlined in the Future High Street Fund report.
3. Cabinet delegates authority to the Strategic Director for Growth in consultation with the Deputy Leader of the Council and the Interim Director of Finance, to make any minor amendments to the bid as required prior to submission.
Reasons for decision:
1. The report of the Deputy Leader of the Council on the Future High Street Fund.
2. A successful first round submission following which South Kesteven District Council was invited to submit a Business Case to the Ministry for Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG).
3. A revenue grant from the MHCLG which allowed for the appointment of an external consultancy team.
4. A full programme of internal and external consultation, which was undertaken to inform the Draft Business Case.
5. The Draft Business Case, attached as exempt Appendix 5 to the report of the Deputy Leader of the Council, which was submitted in March 2020.
6. The project costs as set out in the original draft submission (Appendix 1 to the report of the Deputy Leader of the Council).
7. Feedback from the MHCLG on the Draft Business Case.
8. Meetings held with various bodies including the Project Board created for the Future High Street and High Street Heritage Action Zone schemes and key stakeholders.
9. No expected change to the Council’s revenue contribution of £379,092 over the four-year programme.
10. Feedback from public surveys and business workshops on views about Grantham town centre as set out at Appendix 2 and Appendix 3 to the report of the Deputy Leader of the Council.
11. The governance timeline providing opportunities to enable refinement of the bid before the final deadline for submission on 31 July 2020.
12. The stage 1 equality analysis attached as Appendix 4 to the report of the Deputy Leader of the Council.
13. The potential risks highlighted in section 10 of the report and the actions that have been put in place to mitigate those risks.
Other Options considered and rejected
Do nothing. This would have involved not preparing a bid for the Future High
Street Fund. Given the Council’s clear imperative to boost Grantham’s economic, social and cultural performance, and the rare opportunity of Government funding of this scale that the Future High Street Fund presents, the ‘do nothing’ option was not considered an appropriate option to pursue.
Other projects on the long list of potential interventions were considered but not taken forward on the basis that they would weaken the bid.
Publication date: 17/06/2020
Date of decision: 16/06/2020
Decided at meeting: 16/06/2020 - Cabinet