Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
1. Cabinet notes the current financial position for 2020/21 and the actions being taken as detailed within the Financial Impact Report.
2. Cabinet agrees to continue to monitor the current 2020/21 financial position and recommend amendments to the budget framework at its meeting on 8 September 2020 for consideration by Council on 17 September 2020.
3. Cabinet agrees to suspend car parking charges until 1 August 2020 at all Council operated pay and display car parks.
4. Cabinet agrees to continue the remuneration bonus payment of £50 to drivers, operatives, team leaders, supervisors, vehicle fitters and support staff working within the street scene service (together with any staff seconded to the service during the COVID-19 response period) for the period up to and including 30 September 2020. The bonus payment received by part-time and casual staff will be on a pro rata basis.
5. Cabinet agrees to re-introduce the billing of rent to the SMEs (small, medium enterprises) that occupy Council premises from 1 July 2020 and delegate authority to the Interim Director of Finance, in consultation with the Cabinet Member for Finance and Resources, to suspend rents for individual tenant businesses that meet criteria in relation to hardship.
Considerations/reasons for decision
1. The report from the Cabinet Member for Finance and Resources on the Financial Impact of COVID-19.
2. Key income areas affected by the introduction of stringent movement restrictions announced by the Prime Minister on 23 March 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
3. Income modelling that is being undertaken based on 3, 6, 9 and 12 month scenarios and updated as changes in restrictive measures are announced.
4. A summary showing financial exposure for the 3-month period attached as Appendix A to the report of the Cabinet Member for Finance and Resources.
5. Cash flow modelling set out in Appendix B to the report of the Cabinet Member for Finance and Resources
6. Agreement of the method of cashflow modelling countywide with all authorities working collaboratively to ensure the use of a consistent methodology and to share good practice.
7. Council Tax and Business Rates were key income sources to the Council and were being carefully monitored.
8. Data that was being captured to ensure grant monies received were being used to offset the additional expenditure incurred as a result of the pandemic.
9. Funding received from the Government totalling £1,480,912.
10. Re-profiling of the capital programmes for both the General Fund and the Housing Revenue Account.
11. Government schemes administered by the Council with the support of InvestSK.
12. The Finance Risk Register attached as Appendix C to the report of the Cabinet Member for Finance and Resources.
13. Comments made by the Finance, Economic Development and Corporate Services Overview and Scrutiny Committee at its meeting on 26 May 2020.
Other options considered
No other options were considered.
Publication date: 17/06/2020
Date of decision: 16/06/2020
Decided at meeting: 16/06/2020 - Cabinet