Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
1. Cabinet notes the content of the Deputy Leader’s report and approves the Council entering into a leasehold arrangement to secure the Linchfield Road Playing Field site for development and to agree to meet third parties’ legal costs.
2. Cabinet delegates authority to the Chief Executive, in consultation with the Leader of the Council, to agree the final terms of the lease subject to survey.
3. Cabinet agrees to provide a Letter of Intent to the Football Foundation in order to commence an application for funding to develop an Artificial Turf Pitch on the site.
Considerations/reasons for decision:
· The report of the Deputy Leader of the Council on acquiring a leasehold interest in the Linchfield Road Playing Field site.
· Feasibility work, which due to the age and condition of the current leisure centre in the Deepings, focused on providing a new facility in this area.
· The Linchfield Road Playing Field announced by the Council in September 2019 as the preferred location for the new leisure centre for the Deepings.
· Lincolnshire County Council, Deeping St. James Parish Council and the Anthem Schools Trust had a legal interest in the two parcels of land that made up the site, as indicated on the site plans appended to the report.
· Conditions associated with the proposed arrangements.
· The decision made by South Kesteven District Council in January 2020 to close an old sand-based artificial pitch on the site due to health and safety concerns.
· An invitation from the Football Foundation who had identified the Deepings as a priority area for the provision of an artificial turf pitch, application for funding to be submitted by January 2021.
· Meetings held with representatives from Deeping St James Parish Council, The Deeping School (Anthem Schools Trust) and Lincolnshire County Council.
· Consultation undertaken by LK2 with local sports clubs as part of its role advising on the application process to the Football Foundation
Other options considered and rejected:
The current centre in Deeping St James is a well-used and valued community facility which was built in 1974. The option to refurbish the centre had been considered but, as the centre was approaching the end of its economic life, this was not an appropriate or cost-effective solution. Feasibility work undertaken had focused on a replacement build and identification of a suitable site.
Prior to the District Council announcing the Linchfield Road site as the preferred location for the new leisure centre, developments discussions had taken place with various landowners in the Deeping areas. At the time, all discussions were centred on residential land values which would add significant costs to the capital envelope required.
Publication date: 14/10/2020
Date of decision: 13/10/2020
Decided at meeting: 13/10/2020 - Cabinet