Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: No
To consider any proposed changes following consultation
1. Cabinet notes the results of the public consultation.
2. Cabinet approves the South Kesteven District Council Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licensing Policy with effect from 1 April 2021, with the exception of reduction in vehicle age at first registration from 7 to 5 years which will take effect on 1 October 2021.
3. Cabinet delegates to the Director of Commercial and Operations in consultation with the Cabinet Member for Commercial and Operations, to make minor amendments to the policy, such as legislative updates, which may become necessary from time to time to ensure its continued accuracy, but do not affect its direction or intent.
Considerations/reasons for decision
· Report from the Cabinet Member for Commercial and Operations following a review of the Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licensing Policy and a four week consultation period.
· A workshop held with Members of the Licensing Committee and the Environment Overview and Scrutiny Committee which considered a review of the existing Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licensing Policy.
· New statutory standards published in July 2020, by the Department for Transport on statutory Taxi and Private Hire Vehicle Standards.
· Significant changes made under environment sustainability, driver knowledge and language proficiency and determining a “fit and proper” person to hold a licence as well as the use of e-cigarettes, compliance tests to reflect changes to MOT defect types, as well as a list of other general requirements.
· Consultation carried out with the hackney carriage and private hire trade, general public and other relevant stakeholders including the Authorities Licensing Committee which showed broad support for the proposed changes.
Other Option considered
To proceed with the Council’s Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licensing Policy as issued for consultation, with the policy taking effect in full from 1 April 2021.
Report author: Anne-Marie Coulthard
Publication date: 13/01/2021
Date of decision: 12/01/2021
Decided at meeting: 12/01/2021 - Cabinet