Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: No
There is an urgent need to take measures
around amending void policy and process to move towards good
practice. This will in turn increase the number of social housing
properties available per year to homelessness and housing
applications on the register
1. Cabinet notes the content of the report.
2. Cabinet approves Option 2 as providing the most efficient operational way forward to implement changes to the process and management of voids at this time.
3. Cabinet requests that the Rural and Communities Overview and Scrutiny Committee consider at its next scheduled meeting in February 2021 proposals for a new suite of Key Performance Indicators relating to the effective monitoring of void property management performance, and thereafter to receive updated performance data, and progress on further actions being taken to improve overall void management performance.
4. Cabinet receives a following up report within six months relating to the implementation of the Option 2 proposals.
5. Cabinet receives a comprehensive report covering the full review of the revised void management and process changes, to ensure the objectives and anticipated benefits have been achieved, within the next 12 months.
6. That Officers update Cabinet on the progress made to introduction imprest van stocks through a preferred supplier, and the impacts anticipated in the context of the current stores and stock arrangements be subject to a further report to Cabinet.
Considerations/reasons for decision
· Report from the Cabinet Member for Housing and Planning updating Members on the progress towards an efficient voids process and to begin considerations of appropriate performance measures.
· The need for a comprehensive review of the Council’s management of void properties to put an efficient and effective process in place.
· The introduction and deployment of a Northgate Integrated Housing Management System in summer 2021.
· The introduction of new streamlined void work processes and targets.
· The introduction of Key Performance Indicator data to be reviewed regularly through the Rural and Communities Overview and Scrutiny Committee.
· Changes to the structure of the Technical Services void team.
· Consultation undertaken within the Technical Service and Housing Management Services, amendments made based on feedback and good practice principles.
Other Options considered
1) Leave as current. This was not a viable option and entailed carrying on the existing processes.
2) Investigate the potential for all void works to be delivered by an external contractor/s through a price per void contract.
Report author: Chris Stratford
Publication date: 13/01/2021
Date of decision: 12/01/2021
Decided at meeting: 12/01/2021 - Cabinet