Agenda and minutes

Council
Thursday, 1st March, 2018 2.00 pm

Venue: Council Chamber - South Kesteven House, St. Peter's Hill, Grantham. NG31 6PZ. View directions

Contact: Jo Toomey 

Items
No. Item

69.

Public Open Forum

    The public open forum will commence at 2.00 p.m. and the following formal business of the Council will commence at 2.30 p.m. or whenever the public open forum ends, if earlier.

    Minutes:

    Question 1

     

    A question was put to the Cabinet Member for Communities by Stephen Hewerdine from Grantham.

     

    What does the flexible homeless support scheme money do to alleviate/help people that are homeless of which SKDC received in 2017 £122,376 and in 2018/2019 received £130,123?

     

    The Cabinet Member for Communities responded stating that the Flexible Homelessness Support Grant was ring-fenced for an initial period of two years. During that time it could only be used to prevent or deal with homelessness. Reference was also made to the Homelessness Reduction Act, which was being implemented in 2018 and provided opportunities to intervene earlier to prevent homelessness.

     

    An indication was given of the items on which the funding would be spent, including the recruitment of additional staff to deal with the Council’s homelessness prevention responsibilities, the development of a fit for purpose IT system that would comply with new reporting requirements and improve the case management and training staff on the new requirements stemming from the Homelessness Act. The remainder of the grant would be used to encourage private sector landlords to work with SKDC through schemes including rent deposit and rent guarantee, and making payments to clear arrears to prevent homelessness.

     

    Question 2

     

    Mr Hewerdine put a second question, which was also addressed to the Cabinet Member for Communities.

     

    What are the Council doing to build more affordable single housing in Grantham which single people are the lowest priority on the housing list?

     

    The Cabinet Member thanked Mr Hewerdine for raising the matter. He explained that new duties under the Homelessness Reduction Act would enable the Council to help and assist all housing register applicants. He added that the Council would shortly be finalising a 5-year housing strategy that clearly outlined the need to deliver a more balanced housing market with a range of tenures. 1-bed housing would form a key feature of future programmes.

     

    Reference was made to the Council’s Housing Development Programme, with the Cabinet Member stating that the Council needed to focus on the issue of single occupancy and identify sites on which one-bed units could be developed.

     

    The Cabinet Member stated that the Council was reviewing its current housing stock to ensure that it met current and future housing needs and suggested that there was the potential to remodel some properties for use by single occupants.

     

    In addition to the Housing Development Programme being delivered through the Housing Revenue Account, Gravitas, the Council’s Local Authority Controlled Company, provided further housing delivery opportunities. Reference was made to Gravitas’ first development project at Wherry’s Lane, Bourne.

     

    The public open forum closed at 14:15.

70.

Apologies for Absence

    Minutes:

    Apologies for absence were received from Councillors Ashwell, Benn, Bosworth, Broughton, Mrs Cartwright, Coutts, Dilks, Evans, Forman, Kingman, Manterfield, Mapp, Powell, Russell, Sampson, Judy Smith, Sarah Stokes, Brenda Sumner, Brian Sumner, Trollope-Bellew, Turner, Webster and Westropp.

     

    Decision:

     

    To approve Councillors Ashwell, Mrs Cartwright and Powell’s absence until the next full meeting of Council as a result of the inclement weather conditions.

     

    The Leader referred to the requirement that Councillors attend one meeting in a 6-month period or they automatically cease to be a Member of the authority unless their non-attendance was for a reason approved by Council. He therefore proposed that the Council approve the absences of Councillors Ashwell, Mrs Cartwright and Powell until the next full meeting of Council because of the inclement weather. The proposition was seconded and, on being put to the vote, carried.

71.

Disclosure of Interests

72.

Minutes of the meeting held on 25 January 2018 pdf icon PDF 189 KB

                                                                                                                      (Enclosure)

    Minutes:

    The minutes of the meeting held on 25 January 2018 were proposed, seconded and agreed as a correct record.

73.

Communications (including Chairman's Announcements) pdf icon PDF 40 KB

                                                                                                                      (Enclosure)

    Minutes:

    The Council noted the Chairman’s engagements.

74.

Pay Policy Statement and Collective Agreement pdf icon PDF 115 KB

    Report number TC010 of the Chairman of the Employment Committee.      (Enclosure)

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Decision:

     

    1.    The Council adopts the Pay Policy Statement 2018-19 as attached at Appendix 1 to report number TC010

    2.    The Council adopts the Collective Agreement for Local Pay as attached at Appendix 2 to report number TC010

     

    The Chairman of the Employment Committee proposed the recommendations in report number TC010. He explained that the Pay Policy Statement was an item that was considered annually but this was the first time that it had been presented in its own right; in previous years it had been appended to the Budget report. He stated that the report had received cross-party support when it was considered by the Employment Committee. He drew Members’ attention to an addition made by the Committee that would allow the use of performance-related pay which could help the Council to move towards a more commercial approach. The proposal was seconded.

     

    When one Member asked a question about a specific employment issue he was directed to address the query to the Head of Paid Service.

     

    A vote was taken on the proposition, which was carried.

75.

Budget 2018/19 and Council Tax Setting pdf icon PDF 271 KB

    Report number CFM453 of the Cabinet Members for Finance and Communities.(Enclosure)

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Decision:

     

    Part A

     

    In relation to the General Fund - Revenue

     

    a.         To set a General Fund budget requirement of £11.872M for 2018/19 shown at Appendix A of report number CFM453 (inclusive of special expenses) taking into consideration the savings and efficiencies shown at Appendix B of report number CFM453 and capacity bids shown at Appendix C of report number CFM453

    b.        To approve a Council Tax increase of £5 (Band D equivalent) for 2018/19

    c.         To note the indicative base estimates for 2019/20 and 2020/21 as detailed in the summary at Appendix A of report number CFM453

    d.        To approve the fees and charges as shown at Appendix G of report number CFM453

     

    In relation to the General Fund – Capital

     

    e.         Approve the General Fund Capital programme for 2018/19 to 2020/21 detailed at Appendix D of report number CFM453

    f.          Approve the Capital Financing statement detailed at Appendix D of report number CFM453

     

    In relation to the General Fund - Reserves and Balances

     

    g.        To approve the use of reserves as detailed at Appendix E of report number CFM453

     

    Treasury Management Strategy and Prudential Indicators

     

    h.        To approve the Treasury Management Strategy provided at Appendix F of report number CFM453

     

    In relation to the Housing Revenue Account - Revenue

     

    i.          To approve a dwelling rent decrease of 1% providing an average rent of £78.43 (an average rental decrease of 78p per week)

    j.          To approve an increase in garage rents of 3%

    k.         To approve an increase of 3% in service charges for communal facilities and community rooms

    l.          To approve an increase in shared ownership rents by 4%

    m.       To approve the Housing Revenue Account for the year 2018/19 and indicative years 2019/20 and 2020/21 shown at Appendix H of report number CFM453

     

    In relation to the Housing Revenue Account - Capital  

     

    n.        Approve the indicative Housing Investment Programme for 2018/19 to 2020/21 detailed at Appendix I of report number CFM453

    o.        Approve the Capital Financing statement detailed at Appendix I of report number CFM453

     

    In relation to the Housing Revenue Account - Reserves and balances

     

    p.        Approve the use of the reserves as detailed at Appendix J of report number CFM453

     

    Part B

     

    That it be noted that the Council calculated the following amounts for the year 2018/19 in accordance with the Local Government Finance Act 1992 as amended)

     

    (a)          The Council calculated the Council Tax Base for 2018/19 as 46,519.3 [Item T in the formula in section 31B of the Local Government Finance Act 1992, as amended by the Localism Act 2011]

     

    (b)         For dwellings in those parts of the District to which a Parish Precept relates as detailed in Appendix A to Part B of the addendum to of report number CFM453

     

    (c)          The Council Tax requirement for the Council’s own purpose for 2018/19 (excluding parish precepts and special expenses) is £6,534,566

     

    (d)         That the following amounts be calculated by the Council for the year 2018/19 in accordance with sections 31 to  ...  view the full minutes text for item 75.

76.

Appointment of Chief Executive pdf icon PDF 84 KB

    Report number TC009 of the Chairman of the Employment Committee.      (Enclosure)

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Decision:

     

    That the Council approves the permanent appointment of Aidan Rave as the Chief Executive including the duties of Head of Paid Service, the Electoral Registration Officer (in fulfilment of the requirement of s.8 of the Representation of the People Act 1983), the Returning Officer (under the requirements of s.41 of the Local Government Act 1972) and the full range of duties set down in the Chief Executive’s job description set out in Appendix A to report number TC009.

     

    16:49 – Aidan Rave left the meeting during discussion of this item of business

     

    The Chairman of the Employment Committee presented the recommendations in TC009 on the appointment of the Chief Executive. In so doing he referred Members to the job description and objectives for the role and the recommendations and minutes from the Employment Committee. Members were reminded of the process that had seen Mr. Rave appointed as Interim Chief Executive for a period of one year with an opportunity to extend the contract for a further year. The Committee had agreed at its meeting on 30 January 2018 that they felt Aidan Rave was the right candidate and determined that he should be offered the role of Chief Executive on a permanent basis.

     

    The proposition was seconded, when it was stated that Mr Rave was a great support to the Leadership in driving the Council forward.

     

    A number of Members spoke in favour of the appointment, referring to their experiences of Mr. Rave and the qualities that he had demonstrated since his appointment.

     

    The proposal was put to the vote and carried.

     

    16:58 – Aidan Rave returned to the meeting

77.

Community Governance Review - Corby Glen pdf icon PDF 97 KB

    Report number LDS273 of the Cabinet Member for Communities.    (Enclosure)

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Decision:

     

    The Council

     

    1.    Notes the request from Corby Glen Parish Council to increase the number of parish councillors from seven to nine

    2.    Agrees to undertake a Community Governance Review of the parish of Corby Glen in relation to increasing the number of parish councillors only

    3.    Approves the draft Terms of Reference, including the timetable and arrangements for public consultation, set out in appendix A of report number LDS273

    4.    Agrees that the draft and final recommendations be prepared in consultation with the Ward member and the outcome of the review be determined at a future meeting of the Council

     

    The Cabinet Member for Communities stated that a formal request had been made by Corby Glen Parish Council, which had asked the District Council to carry out a Community Governance Review to look at increasing the number of members from seven to nine. He proposed the recommendations in report number LDS273, drawing Members’ attention to the proposed timetable and the appended terms of reference. The proposition was seconded, when reference was made to the planned growth within the parish over the next twenty years.

     

    During brief debate, support was expressed and the request made that the same diligence be given when the Council was looking at governance arrangements for Grantham.

     

    A vote was taken on the proposition, which was carried.

78.

Meetings of the Cabinet pdf icon PDF 86 KB

79.

Close of meeting