Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: No
To determine the Council Tax base to form the
basis of the 2021/22 budget proposals to be recommended to
Cabinet recommends to Council the approval of the Council Tax base for the financial year 2021/22 equating to 48,122.4 in accordance with the relevant legislation. This will form the basis upon which the Council will estimate Council Tax income for the 2021/22 budget.
Considerations/reasons for decision
· Report from the Cabinet Member for Finance and Resources on the Council Tax Base 2021/22.
· The Local Government Finance Act 1992 as amended by s84 of the Local Government Act 2003, which sets out the requirements allowing each local authority to make its arrangements for adopting the Council Tax Base.
· The Local Authorities (Calculation of Council Tax Base) (England) Regulations 2012.
· The proposed tax base for South Kesteven 2020/21 was 48,122.4 Band D equivalents and was an increase of 0.4% on the previous financial year 2020/21.
· The calculation of the tax base for parish purposes was based on the number of properties as at 14 September 2020 and the discounts and exemptions applicable on 5 October 2020, as prescribed by legislation.
· Adjustments for the reductions in the tax base as a result of the Local Council Tax Support Scheme.
· The setting of a realistic and prudent collection rate for Council Tax in 2021/22 is an essential component of the overall budget strategy. It is anticipated that a collection rate of 98.68% will be achieved in 2020/21 and this will form the basis of the collection rate for 2021/22.
Other options considered
Report author: Richard Wyles
Publication date: 02/12/2020
Date of decision: 01/12/2020
Decided at meeting: 01/12/2020 - Cabinet