Venue: Council Chamber - South Kesteven House, St. Peter's Hill, Grantham. NG31 6PZ. View directions
Apologies for absence
Apologies for absence were received from Councillors’ Morgan, Adam Stokes and Ray Wootten.
Disclosure of Interests
The notes from the meeting held on 13 December 2021 were proposed, seconded and agreed subject to the following amendments:
That the date of the meeting shown as 13 November 2021 be changed to 13 December 2021 and that consideration of holding a referendum be included in the points listed under agenda item 5.
At the last meeting of the Working Group, the Terms of Reference for the Community Governance Review had been discussed. A formatted version of the Terms of Reference had been circulated with the agenda which included graphics for Members information. The Terms of Reference would be debated at Council on 27 January 2022.
A comment was made about the lack of inclusion in the Terms of Reference to any threshold in respect of the number of responses received to the consultation. It was noted that the ultimate decision would be made by Council following recommendations made by the Working Group after taking into consideration all feedback received to the consultation. A further comment was made about the inclusion of possible changes to the role of the Mayor within the document, however, it was noted that the civic function was mentioned at 3.3 of the document.
Circulated with the agenda was a document detailing the methods and options available in respect of consultation on the Community Governance Review. A list of stakeholders was also included. The Head of Democratic Services and Deputy Monitoring Officer requested that if Members were aware of any further groups to be included in the consultation to let Officers know and provide their contact details.
Members to let Officers know of any further groups for inclusion in the consultation together with their contact details.
Comments made in relation to the methods and options for consultation were made as follows:
· Consideration had to be given to the current climate in respect of Covid and contact attendances.
· The timetable for the scheduled by-elections had to be considered.
· Budget constraints, a funding bid of £20,000 had been included as part of the 2022/23 budget proposals.
· Costs for direct mail-out to each household in Grantham and neighbouring parishes.
· Size of document to be distributed.
· The type of feedback required from the questions asked.
· The need for residents to have the necessary information to enable them to complete the questionnaire.
· Information and questions contained within any circulated document had to be independent and from a neutral perspective.
· Mail out did not include return envelopes.
As both agenda items 5 and 6 were linked it was agreed that they would be discussed together and the following points were made.
· Font format within the final document needed to be consistent.
· The questionnaire would be available on-line following the date of the by-elections held on 24 February 2022.
· Some Members felt that reference needed to be made to the possible increase in Council Tax that a Grantham Town Council may have.
· It was important to acknowledge that the process needed to be impartial and fair and that arbitrary figures could not be included in the documents as they were unknown.
· Thanks were given to the Head of Democratic Services and Monitoring Officer and the team for the work done to date on the Community Governance Review documents.
· Other societies for inclusion were mentioned such as the Civic Society, Heritage England, Friends of Wyndham Park and Friends of Queen Elizabeth Park and the inclusion of clubs such as the tennis club and supermarkets as well as the inclusion of schools specifically older children in secondary schools and colleges. It was requested that Members forward by e-mail, any names and contact details for organisations to be included in the consultations process to the CGR Team.
· A comment was made in relation to the electoral arrangements that had been included, did these include all arrangements available.
· It was suggested that hyperlinks be included on the on-line consultation to enable people to access more information if they wished to do so.
· It was noted that a QR code would be included and an explanation and links could be provided within the on-line consultation questionnaire.
· Warding arrangements were part of the review and these were referenced within the Terms of Reference document.
· Reference was ... view the full minutes text for item 10.
Close of meeting
The meeting closed at 03:02pm.